Patricia
Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Experience:  Published author, free lance bird behaviorist, adviser to the parrots at Sarasota Jungle Gardens.
1035247

Cockatiel & a stroke like a human being

What are the signs & possible symptons of a Cockatiel having a stroke like a human being can have? Is it even possible? My Cockatiel is one of the lovabllest little men that I''ve ever had, he has his own cage but we do have other birds, another cockatiel, 1 lovebird & parakeets, everyone else is very healthy, and Sunday morning around 5:40am my Hubby woke up to hearing T2 making odd screeching noises & flapping around, now, T2 isn''t a big fan of my husband, he''s my bird than anyone else''s, he likes to sit on my head and "protect" me, and if I stretch out on the living room floor & nap, I''ll put his cage on the sofa & he''ll climb out of it and sit on the cushion right above my head like he''s watching over me while I sleep. Anyways, Wayne woke me up immediately a few minutes after he found T2 like this, because when my hubby reached into his cage, T2 jumped into his hand immediately, something he''s NEVER done, and Wayne was severely worried.. I''ll have to write more later, im out of room

Hello. I'm so sorry your little guy is having a problem. If I can get some more information, I'll sure do my best for him.

You compare it to a possible stroke but other than the flapping around, you didn't elaborate on how he is acting so far as movements, etc. Has he lost use of either or both legs or feet? Is he walking and perching or is he sitting and/or laying down?

Exactly what do you mean "giving him vitamins? What are you giving him and did you put it in his drinking water? If so, you need to get it back out, wash and scald his dish and replace with only plain fresh water.

Exactly what are you doing to "hand force" fluids?

He is over 12 years, correct? How old is he?

Are you positive it is a male bird?

Please tell me all about his usual diet?

Thanks, Patricia

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Patricia's Post: Hello Patricia,
My wife's bird is about 16 years old. The vitamins were bird vitamins added to the water and some were sprinkled into his seed as well. The forcing of water was some water dropped into his mouth via a eyedropper nothing that would make him choke. He has been resting in the bottom of his cage since yesterday. He is awake off and on and will perch when my wife gets him out, but has some weakness in one of his feet I can not remember which one right now. He seems to not be seeing out of his left eye now but there is no noticeable difference in it. He is normally very vocal but has been quiet since the seizure. His diet consists of parakeet seed from 3-D pet products, cockatiel seed from the same company, plain bread pieces on occasion with sesame seeds on it, an occasional piece of green pepper, and the day before yesterday a piece of onion as a sample but no more than a few beaks before he decided he did not like it and bottled water. We were told he was a male from the SPCA where we got him over a year ago. If you need any more info please just let me or my wife know. Thank you, Charles

Okay Charles. Due to his age, there is certainly more than one thing that could be going on. However, what jumps right out at me is the onion. It's toxic to birds, especially if it's raw. He has not been on a complete diet so he is very likely to have some liver damage that may or may not be showing up yet. A diet, for a Tiel, should not be more than about 25% seeds and seed products. He should have been getting a good pellet mixed with his seeds. His seed mix should not have any sunflower seeds in it as they are very high in fat. And, he should have been getting a big variety of vegetables and leafy greens. As for the sunflower seeds, they are not toxic or anything like that but they, and millet, have such a high fat content they must be given very sparingly. Rule of thumb with them would be no more than about 5-6 seeds per day, per bird. A high fat diet leads to fatty liver disease, Hepatic Lipidosis. Even if you have had no visual symptoms yet of liver problems, he may very well be suffering from it. The added strain of a toxic food may be what it has taken to "push him over the edge", health wise. This is really terrible timing, right here at the holiday unless you already have a relationship with a very competent avian vet and you can get in as an emergency. He really needs to be gotten to a proper vet, sooner rather than later. There is not much you can do for him at home, other than supportive care. Keeping him warm is good. Keeping him quiet and stress free is very important. The more liquids you can get down him the better to maybe help flush his system. If you can get a few drops of Pedialyte into him the same way you are doing the water, that would be great. It will help keep him hydrated and will help his electrolytes. Do not replace his water with the Pedialyte but you must get those vitamins out of the water right away. Wash and scald his dish and give him only plain fresh water. Anything like that added to drinking water can cause bacteria to grow very quickly. It is never advisable to add anything to our birds drinking water. It's going to be hard, since he is going to be very set in his ways as respects diet. But if you can get any steamed veggies into him, (carrots, peas, corn, yams, etc.) or if you can get him to eat some plain cooked oatmeal, maybe some hard boiled or scrambled eggs, something that will help offset the toxin in his system, it may help. But the botXXXXX XXXXXne is, he really needs to get to a vet. Just in case you don't have one, I'll give you links that may help but unless you are already established with one, it may be hard to get in today. Most really good avian vets do have 24/7 emergency clinic services available. Whether they will take an emergency that is not already a customer, I can't guarantee. Some will, some will not. I don't know where you are but another good option is if you live any where near a college that has a vet school. I so hate to have to give you this bad news and I wish there was anything else I could do for him long distance. Unfortunately, there is not. I do hope these suggestions will help him some though, until you can find a vet to see him, the sooner the better. Please, let me know if you have more questions or need any further clarification of anything. I will be keeping the little gentleman in my thoughts and will hope for the best possible outcome. Patricia

Click here: Parrots - Avian Vets Recommended - Judy Leach's Parrots - macaws, cockatoos, and african greys

Click here: Find your local Avian Veterinarian

Click here: Avian Veterinarians Recommended by Bird Breeders and Owners http://www.birdsnways.com/articles/abvpvets.htm

Click here: Avian Vet List

Click here: BirdsnWays - Avian Veterinarians - Vets - Vet Services for Pet Parrots & Exotic Birds

This one looks like an advertisement for Harrison pellets but they are only sold by vets so it's another good list to check. Click here: Harrison's Bird Foods is a family of certified organic pet bird diets that were formulated to make your bird as he

Here are some links to a lot of miscellaneous Tiel information you may also find helpful.

Click here: BirdsnWays - Articles & FAQs on pet birds, pet parrots & exotic bird species - Cockatiels

Life After Weaning - Your Companion Bird and You

Caring For Your Pet Cockatiel

Fatty Liver Disease in Cockatiels

Click here: Cockatiels as Pets - Choosing a Cockatiel, Cages and Feeding

Click here: Diet: Safe & Toxic Foods

Click here: More Birds Die as a Result of Air Fresheners: That Stinks!!

Click here: Alerts Dangers and Toxins for Pet Birds Parrots

Click here: Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Poisonous. Parrots.

Click here: Toxic and Safe Plants/Trees for Birds - Household Poisons

Click here: Birdsnways - Safe Plants & Trees for pet birds, pet parrots &exotic birds

Potentially Toxic Plants

Toronto Humane Society :: Common Poisonous Plants

Click here: Bird Proofing Your Home: Household Hazards for Birds

Click here: Bird Proofing Your Home - Avoid These Pet Bird Hazards

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for your help. He has some vision problems on the week side and still a little sluggish from the traumatic event. As soon as we can get him to a vet we will have him looked over. He is stable and recovering. Thank you again. Charles and Vicki