Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

my firebelly toad has cloudy eyes

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.

There are three main causes of cloudy eyes in fire-bellied toads. Infection is the most common one. Melafix doesn't work against all types of infection, so even though you've used that product, infection can't be ruled out.

Poor water quality or too much fat in the diet are the other two causes. Since you've had the toad for five years without this problem, it doesn't seem likely now , unless you've changed something recently in your care routine. You can read more about feeding and water maintenance here:

Since you've tried a remedy already with no results, at this point the best thing you can do for your toad is take it to a herp vet. This link will take you to a directory:

If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope your toad's eyes clear up quickly.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)