Ask TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO Your Own Qu...
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE W/TROPICAL FISH---BREEDING, MAINTAINING, CURING
1568960

Do Betta fish shed pieces of their feathery tails I did a ...

Customer Question

Do Betta fish shed pieces of their feathery tails? I did a partial water change in my tank and afterwards I saw what looked like pieces of his tail floating in the water.
Category: Pet
Expert:  TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO replied 9 years ago.
Bettas do not normally shed pieces of their fins nor tails. If in fact what you did see were pieces of tail in the water than it would be an indication of an illness called Fin Rot which should be treated with a medicine called Maracyn Two.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO's Post: I have a pleco in the tank as well, if I give this medication will it affect him as well.
When treating a fish with medication it's always a good idea to isolate him so as to not unneccesarily treat an otherwise healthy fish.

You can isolate/quarantine the betta in a betta bowl which can be purchased for a reasonable price in most pet shops.

It's also good to isolate the fish in a betta bowl because you will be using less medicine thereby making the treatment cost effective.

Listed below is a link to a page that will show you the product Maracyn Two.

Good luck!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4615+4842&pcatid=4842