Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

what does it mean when my hamster chirps

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.

Most hamsters are quiet, but there are a few who make this chirping noise. It's not a sign of any health problem, so it's nothing to worry about.

You'll have to watch your hamster to see what he's doing as he chirps because they don't all do it for the same reason. Some hamsters only chirp if they're alarmed, for example if a cat peers into their cage or they're awakened suddenly. Others use it as a way to beg for food, or a sign of joy when they see you arrive at their cage to take care of them. For others still, it is a sign of excitement. A few hamsters are really talkative and will chirp for all of the above reasons.

I hope you enjoy figuring out what your hamster is saying to you.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)