Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

bull penis looks broke. How can I tell if he will still breed cows

this is a young bull and part of his penis hangs down
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 9 years ago.

An injury or defect called "broken penis" is fairly common in beef cattle. Some with the condition are still be able to breed, but might have diminished fertility. Others are unable to breed. You will probably need to have a veterinarian examine your bull to determine the extent of his problem. It is often recommended not to breed a bull with any kind of deformed or injured penis. If he is a valuable bull, surgery can be done at veterinary college teaching hospitals to repair the problem. Here is a link where you can find one in your state:

Here are two links that might help you determine exactly what is wrong with your bull and what can be done about it. Both have detailed information and a number of photographs.

This link has further information on reproductive health in bulls:

I hope this helps, and that it turns out your bull will be fine.

Thank you.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT).