Dr.  Hanson
Dr. Hanson, Veterinarian
Experience:  D.V.M. for more than 30 years. I have experience treating all varieties of animals.
90970

My rabbits vagina looks swollen and has some discharge. Wha

Customer Question

She is just about a year old and is a mini lop. I feed her Ecotrition blend food supplemented with timothy hay and fresh veggis.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Hanson replied 9 years ago.

What color is the discharge?

Is the discharge coming from her vagina?

What other symptoms does your rabbit have besides a vulvar discharge e.g. is she lethargic?

Does she have an elevated temperature? Place a lubricated (K-Y gel) thermometer gently into your bunny's rectum approximately 3/4" for about 3 minutes while holding your bunny securely and holding the thermometer so it doesn't break or so it won't injure the rabbit. A rabbit's temperature should be less than 104 degrees F.

Is she eating?

Is she having normal rabbit feces?

Has your rabbit ever had babies?

Could your rabbit be pregnant?

Is your rabbit kept near a male rabbit?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Hanson's Post: My rabbit is not kept around a male and there is no possible way she could be pregnant, nor has she ever had little fuzzy bunnies. She is eating normally and her feces are normal except for occasional wet, stinky poo. The very small amount of discharge seems to be coming from the vagina and is clearish white. We don't have a thermometer but her body temp seems normal. She is also slightly lethargic as of late, and i do mean slightly. As we said earlier the vagina is "swollen" in the sense that it is kind of sticking out a little bit and does not look like it did when we saw it at the vet's office.

It sounds like your rabbit's clearish white discharge and swollen vagina is due to normal stimulation by estrogen which is produced by a female rabbit almost continuously unlike in humans and other mammals who have a menstrual cycle and estrus cycles. Female rabbits are almost continuously sexually-stimulated so that they will sometimes even mount other female rabbits if males aren't available.

The discharge and swelling is not due to an infection. If she had uterine pyometra (a vaginal discharge caused by pathogenic organisms) then the discharge would be yellow-colored and have a foul smell and she would have an elevated temperature and diarrhea/vomiting/anorexia.

While she has the clear discharge and swollen vulva she should be encouraged to rest since over-stimulation could increase her hormones which will increase the discharge and the swelling of her vulva.

Offer her a nutritious diet of hay, carrots, and her usual favorites, keep her environment clean, always make sure she has easily accessible fresh water at all times, and make sure she has normal rabbit feces without diarrhea.

If the discharge turns yellow then I recommend that you have her treated in person