Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

dagu, of chinchilla family, wont eat or drink.

dagu, of chinchilla family, won't eat or drink. eye is tearing, other than that looks health, very dehydrated. giving him water by dropper. can i give him clavamox? I have 15ml for my cat. how much would i give him?
Giving a pet leftover antibiotics is a very bed idea. Ther should be no overage if given properly. What you describe does not necessariky sound like an infection and you could do more harn then good given clavininox for the wrong ailment or without infection

Ive heard advice about changing to a wet, and tastier dog food or adding a little sugar to the water, but even if that worked and din't harm the dog it would be temp.

In other words home remedies are economical and practical, but truth to be told they often do mre harm than good. Please take your pet to the vet for proper diagnosis. A up front fee will ten let you make decisionas and plan treatment best suited to your pup.

Good luk
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
NOT A DOG> That was NOT a TYPO. IT is a DAGU, a desert rodent of the chinchilla family. and the antibotics is very fresh as my cat is taking it for a bladder infection.

Sorry but your answer was not helpful. Mine is an exotic pet with life span of 12 years max. I just wanted to know if he was nearing his end or if he has an infection I can treat.
Amoxicillin as are some other antibiotics can be toxic to the animals in the Rodent family. I would not use Clavamox. I would start with rehydrating with Plain Pedialyte instead of water and you can use a warm compress on the eye and then some Sterile Plain Saline Eye Drops that you would use for contact lenses. I would contact your Vet. for a suitable antibiotic or see an ER Vet that will treat Exotics. Rodents are all very susceptable to problems with Antibiotic Medication Toxicty.
These are the Antibiotics considered toxic to Rodent family. I hope this info. will help. Respectfully XXXXX XXXXX
amoxicillin (Clavamox)
     ampicillin
     bacitracin
     cefadroxil
     cephalexin * (derivative: Cefadroxil)
     cephalosporins
     cephazolin
     chlortetracycline
     clindamycin
     dihydrostreptomycin
     erythromycin
     lincomycin
     oxytetracycline
     penicillin
     streptomycin
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience: Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful. I will try forcing the water and the warm compress. Howveer I fear he is coming to his end.

Thank you again for your very clear answer. i will print the rely for further reference.

Hope
I hope that your baby will pull through this. I would try the Pedialyte since it has a balance of electrolytes for the dehydration. My prayers are with you and your fur baby. Joan jav917
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jav917's Post: i'll go over to the store and get some. What do you think about kitten formula?
Thanks again
My answer was not exactly a typo either. My point, however worded, is do not mix antibiotic between any animal-even if it is fresh, and never try to treat an illness that has been diagnosed. Though simple illness can be safely treated at home, I feel your pet is safest under the care of a qualified specialist.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you I was involved with an Emergency. You can offer the KMR, but I would mix the pedialyte in with it. We want to try and stop the dehydrtaion 1st. Joan jav917
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jav917's Post: He did make it through the night and the pedialyte did help. However he passed on yesterday afternoon.
Thank you again for your time and kind words. We will miss him.

Hope

Hello Hope,

I am so sorry for the loss of your baby! I know how hard is to loose your companion. I hope the information I had given you helped to make the passing less painful and more peacful. I am sure knowing you were there loving him and there for him made it easier. I would like to offer you a place I go to help with closure when I loose a fur baby. With sincerest sympathy, Joan Jav917

www.Rainbowbridge.com