Have Pet Questions? Get Answers from Experts Now.
I am sorry for the loss of your cow, but there is currently no data indicating that cucumbers have toxic potential to pets, or other animals. However, it is important to keep in mind that even vegetables or plants considered to be nontoxic can produce minor stomach upset if ingested. It is however possible she did get some type of poison, from the description you have given. The fact that your husband found Nightshade in the pasture, she may have been attracted enough to eat some of it to cause a severe reaction. Just eating some of the berries may have been enough to push the cow over the edge. With out a Necropsy you may never know for sure, but I would say that the cucumbers did not cause the problem. Joan Jav917http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadly_nightshade
I undersatnd the cost of Necropsies are very costly. Even on small animals you are looking at $300+ The problem with Nightsahed is the berries are swet to the taste and even three little berries can cause an agonizing death. I think you can rest that it was not the cucumbers. If I have helped to put your mind at ease I would appreciate positive feedback at your convience. Thank-you for the accept. Joan Jav917