Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

My 7yr.old American bulldog, has a swollen right rear leg, ...

My 7yr.old American bulldog, has a swollen right rear leg, front left leg, top of his head, and now both sides of his face (as though his veins are swollen) What can it be? He's uncomfortable, he limps, his swollen back rear leg has a fever to it. He still has his appetite. When I tough any of the effected ares, he doesn't seem to be bothered. Also, we noticed a 1" x 1/2" hard lump, purplish in the center and lightens to a pink.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 9 years ago.

Has the dog been outside?

Are there any wood piles near by?

Didi you notice any little marks where the lump is? Joan Jav917

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Yes he stays outside 24-7. No marks around the lump, however, my husband just informed me he he has a smaller oblong lump under his skin on his neck behind his left ear. Also, there seems to be a sack of fluid under his skin on the left side of his chest. It looks like fluid because it wobbles when he walks. (when I indicate left and right, I am looking at him from his rear). We don't have any wood piles, but we do live in the foothills of Norhtern California. Did I mention he has no loos of appetite?
Expert:  Joan replied 9 years ago.

Hello Julie,

I am concerned about your description, because of the dog being outside this sounds like a Spider bite and allergic reaction. The most common bite at this time of the year is a brown recluse spider. The problem is they are very toxic and cause necroses of the tissues where the bite occurred. This is a situation where the dog should see a Vet asap. The Vet may have to give some cortical steroids, Antibiotics and fluids. This is not a wait and see situation. You have done everything you can to keep the toxin from spreading, but unfortunately the Vet. has better facilities to mange this type of situation.

I am including a link about Brown recluse spiders and a Warning the picture are graphic Joan Jav917

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
My dog started limping about 4 days ago, and swelling 3 days ago. Would the skin show signs of decay by now?
Expert:  Joan replied 9 years ago.

Since you have been treating with Amoxicillin and Benedryl this may have help out the problems from getting worse. This could also be an allergic reation to the Amoxicillin. The biggest thing that worries me is that the swelling has increased and the areas are getting purple, which can indicate some severe infection.Joan Jav917

Expert:  Joan replied 9 years ago.

Please post an update after you have seen the Vet. I would like yo know what the Vet's findings are. I appreciate the accept and would appreciate positive feedback when you have time. I will watch for the update on your baby. Joan Jav917