Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

my hamster has a lump/mass in her stomach. though at first ...

my hamster has a lump/mass in her stomach. thought at first it was food in her pouch but it's lower in her stomach. she's moving very slow. on the side that her lump is, her back leg doesn't seem to be moving very well when she's walking. i don't know what this means? she doesn't seem to be cranky. she just seems to not feel well. isn't very active. has a pet carrier on the top of the cage (bed) and isn't going to the bottom cage where the food/water is? definitely has loss of appetite. what's wrong with her and what do i need to do to get her well?

You said that this lump in in the area of the stomach. This sound like a scent gland tumor, an abscess or even constipation which can cause a bloat in the abdomen area. For tonight you can try getting her to drink some pedialyte from an eye dropper to keep her from dehydrating and you can also try to give her some plain yogurt to see if she will eat . Tomorrow you will want to see a Vet. that will treat exotics and Pocket Pets for an explicit diagnosis. Please update me after you see the Vet. Joan Jav917

http://www.hamsterific.com/IllnessGuide.cfm#Tumor

http://www.hamsterific.com/IllnessGuide.cfm#Abscess

http://www.hamsterific.com/IllnessGuide.cfm#Constipation

Have you noticed any bleeding from the vaginal area? There is one last thing I have come up with. If your hammie has not been bred this is possibly an ovarian cyst. this would also need to be addressed with a Vet. Joan Jav917

http://www.hamsterific.com/IllnessGuide.cfm#Ovarian

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i'll definitely try the pedyalite. would a tomour cause her to smell really bad. her cage is clean and within the last 2 days she has a rancid smell to her. she won't leave the bed area in the top. when i put food up there for her she ate but wouldn't drink when i tried water.

This sounds more like an abscess with what you have just told me. This again can be treated by the Vet. with lancing, cleaning and an antibiotic. Try the yogurt and the pedialyte and see the Vet. ASAP. I hope with the fluid and the yogurt should give her some further energy until you see the Vet. Joan Jav917

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jav917's Post: hey. i've been keeping an eye on my hampster and she crawled down to the bottom of her cage and drank water for like 15 minutes strait. now she's curled in a ball breathing pretty hard. she's got her eyes closed and when i talk to her i get no response. normally she'll perk up right away. any chances she'll make it through the nite? or anything i can do for her now; or thoughts on what's goin on?

I wanted to see how your little one was doing? Have you gotten to the Vet?

Please let me know how the Hammie is doing. Joan Jav917

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
hi, i took fran (my hampster) to lorie, a friend of the family who's worked for a vet for about 10 years. she pulled some fur off fran and she has 2 bite marks. I'd forgotten she was with another hamster and had killed it. so she lanced the bulge, and got nothing but blood. said the lump was hard and seemed tumorous since she couldn't get any puss out, however fran (my hampster) also has a swollen lymphnode in her cheek. lorie said she thought this could just be an infection. i'm giving her antibiotic for 3 days and monitoring and putting neosporin on the bite wounds. any insite?

I am so glad you have seen someone and have gotten some antibiotics. You may still need to see the Vet. for further evaluation if the tumor needs to be excised. In the interim the medication is a good start to help with infection. I would recommend some Bee Pollen, Royal Jelly and some plain yogurt with bifidus and acidophilus along with the regular food. These supplements offer a great deal of vitamins and nutrients that I have found very successful in treating ailing animals. They will also help with increasing appetite in an animal who has been ill. I would use betadine and peroxide before using the neosporin.Please keep me updated on the progress.

I want to let you know Royal Jelly and Bee Pollen can be gotten at any Healthfood store and I consider them a great natural healer! Joan Jav917

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
couple question? do i just mix these ingredients into her food? and when should i start doing this? immediately? the last question i have is; i've set up an appt. with a vet, if it is a tomour, how fast does it need to be treated? i don't get paid for a couple more days. think she can hang on that long?

You can dust her food with the open capsules of the Bee Pollen and Rayal Jelly or you can mix them in some yogurt. I would start immediately! With the antibiotics and the supplements she should be able to hang on. I consider the Bee Pollen and Royal Jelly two of nature's most perfect supplements. Joan Jav917

http://www.pureroyaljelly.com/