Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

sex them) is enlarged and it looks like he has lost weight

Customer Question

Well...my leopard gecko looks like his testicles (or node area to sex them) is enlarged and it looks like he has lost weight
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 7 years ago.

Are you sure you have a Male?

Do you see something sticking out from the area?

Is the area very red?

JoanJav917

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Jav917's Post: yeah i am sure its a male i have matched the markings ..there is nothing sticking out of the area, and its like pinkish and now i saw the other one she looks like she has a bruise on the side of her head and a scab on top
Expert:  Joan replied 7 years ago.

If you have the male and female housed together you need to separate them. The things you may be seeing are injuries from breeding. What can happen is the female will start lay eggs or get hurt from the breeding ritual and the male will wind up with a prolapsed Hemipenis. What you can do for the male is to take a moist paper towel with cool water and some granulated sugar and set him on it, this will help to make sure that if he is starting to get a hemipenal prolapse it may retract. The female cuts can be treated with some plain Neosporin without pain killer. Make sure your female has a lay box in her tank and plenty of calcium powder and the male is kept separate. In about 2 weeks you may notice her go off food and she may lay a total of two eggs each 2-3 weeks for the rest of the laying season. Joan Jav917

www.repticzone.com/forums/Geckos-Leopard/index.html

Joan, Vet Technician
Experience: Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much...unfortunately its probably mainly my fault to not read up to house them sperate, but also the pet store worker for not telling me...but they have been housed together ever since they were hatched and grown up together..but i am sure it starts something..thank you so much again Joan

-Chadd
Expert:  Joan replied 7 years ago.

Hello Chadd,

Thank you for the accept and Bonus. Please leave positive feedback when you have a chance. It would be appreciated.

The pet shops are not the greatest source for knowledge.Let me guess that you are using sand as a substrate? Do you have a moist Hide?

The Site I gave you has some good people who can direct you in the proper direction.

I like a solid substrate because of impactions. Another thing is the do need a Fecal check by a Herp vet. If you need a listing for your area let me know. Joan Jav917