Patricia
Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Experience:  Published author, free lance bird behaviorist, adviser to the parrots at Sarasota Jungle Gardens.
1035247

how often should i feed my cockatiel

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Pet
Expert:  Patricia replied 7 years ago.

Hello. I'm so glad you are asking. It shows you really want to do everything right for your bird. First off, she needs to have a dish that is about 50/50, good fresh seed mix, (with no sunflower seeds, much too high in fat) and a good brand of pellets. There are several good ones on the market but the best will be one with no added dyes for color. The favorite for my Tiels, and the only one they will eat is the LaFeber brand and I buy it in the Parakeet size. The Cockatiel size is actually a little too large for their beaks. They break them in half and half goes flying to the floor. Too much waste. The smaller size works very well for them. She needs to have that bowl available to her at all times and the bowl must be emptied, washed thoroughly and replenished at least once every day. Use the left overs to feed your outside wild birds. She also needs a separate dish, everyday of vegetables, leafy greens and much more. Her total diet should not be more than about 30% seeds or seed products. Seeds are much too high in fat to be their only diet. A high fat diet leads to fatty liver disease, (Hepatic Lipidosis), fatty tumors, obesity and much more. There should also be a cuttle bone in the cage at all times. That is especially important if you for sure have a female bird. She may decide to lay eggs some day, (she does not need a male bird to lay eggs). If she does, and if she does not have a good supply of calcium in her system, she will not be able to make firm shells for her eggs. They will be too soft for her to pass and she will get egg bound. That will be a life threatening emergency so it's best to prevent that rather than having to deal with it after the fact and put her life in jeopardy. I'm going to give you a lot of links to information about proper diet, the consequences of not providing a proper diet and a lot of other safety issues you may not know yet. Just to get you started, some of the things she can have include cooked brown rice, well cooked bean mixes, hard boiled or scrambled eggs, small bits of well cooked chicken breast with all fat and skin removed, cooked pastas and more. The leafy greens she needs include, endive, kale, mustard, turip and collard greens and romaine lettuce. No ice berg lettuce and no spinach. Actually, she can eat almost everything you eat. There are some toxic foods she must not have though so study the lists carefully and don't ever feed her anything before verifying it's safety. Don't leave this "wet" food out more than a couple hours so it won't grow any harmful bacteria. I also urge you to use the links for locating a proper Avian vet that is close to you and put the information with all your other emergency numbers. The odds are that when you need one, it will be an emergency and your bird will not have time for you to do the search then. I hope all this helps you out but if you have any more questions at all, just let me know. Patricia

Click here: Find your local Avian Veterinarian

Click here: Avian Veterinarians Recommended by Bird Breeders and Owners http://www.birdsnways.com/articles/abvpvets.htm

Click here: Avian Vet List

Click here: BirdsnWays - Avian Veterinarians - Vets - Vet Services for Pet Parrots & Exotic Birds

This one looks like an advertisement for Harrison pellets but they are only sold by vets so it's another good list to check. Click here: Harrison's Bird Foods is a family of certified organic pet bird diets that were formulated to make your bird as he

Click here: BirdsnWays - Articles & FAQs on pet birds, pet parrots & exotic bird species - Cockatiels

Life After Weaning - Your Companion Bird and You

Caring For Your Pet Cockatiel

Fatty Liver Disease in Cockatiels

Click here: Cockatiels as Pets - Choosing a Cockatiel, Cages and Feeding

Click here: More Birds Die as a Result of Air Fresheners: That Stinks!!

Click here: Alerts Dangers and Toxins for Pet Birds Parrots

Click here: Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Poisonous. Parrots.

Click here: Toxic and Safe Plants/Trees for Birds - Household Poisons

Click here: Birdsnways - Safe Plants & Trees for pet birds, pet parrots &exotic birds

Potentially Toxic Plants

Toronto Humane Society :: Common Poisonous Plants

Click here: Bird Proofing Your Home: Household Hazards for Birds

Click here: Bird Proofing Your Home - Avoid These Pet Bird Hazards