Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

Our 14 year old neutered Yorkie had his first seizure May ...

Our 14 year old neutered Yorkie had his first seizure May 11 of this year. The vet prescribed 1 ml Phenobarbital (20 mg per 5 ml) twice a day and Diazepam 1 mg once every 4 – 6 hours as needed to control seizures. He also takes 62.5 mg Methocarbamol once daily for back pain. I just discovered that the prescription shows that it should be given 2 to 3 times a day. I've been giving him the one dose daily for about three years.

Following his seizure he has been given the Phenobarbital in the morning and in the evening. I gave him his one dose of Methocarbamol with the Phenobarbital in the morning. Following this regimen and giving him Diazepam before potentially traumatic events (nail clipping) he was seizure free for about two months.

His second seizure occurred early in the morning this last Friday, July 13. I called the vet to find out what to do and how the diazepam was to be used. He said that if the seizures occur no more frequently than once every two months, then the Phenobarbital dosage need not be adjusted. The diazepam was to be administered to prevent a second seizure. I administer 1 ml Diazepam and he was seizure-free the rest of the day. The next morning, yesterday, about an hour after his Phenobarbital, Diazepam and Methocarbamol he had another seizure. When he revived I administered Diazepam every 4 – 6 hours and he remained seizure free the rest of the day.

At ten this morning he had another seizure. He had not yet received any medicine. After his seizure he entered into a deep sleep. He has been in this deep sleep for over 4 hours. He is breathing and his legs will twitch or move from time to time, but his body is limp.

We want what is best for our dog. We want the rest of his life to be comfortable and happy. He is very much part of the family.

Serendipitously, we have an appt with the vet tomorrow for our Chihuahua puppies to get their first rabies vaccinations. We will leave the Yorkie there for observation.

Here's the question: in the mean time, before we see the vet tomorrow, is there anything we should do related to this prolonged, perhaps comatose, sleep?

I am sorry to hear what your little Yorkie is going through. It is tough when you have a little one with seizures. It is not uncommon for a little one to go in a deep sleep after a traumatic seizure. It takes a lot out of the older dogs. The post seizure time is almost as bad for the owner as the immediate seizure. I would let your little one rest it out and just check on him intermittently. Since he is under a Vets. care and you are following the protocols, it seems you have everything under control. The worst part is waiting to see the Vet. tommorrow. I am however going to give you a link on canine Epilepsy and it has information and support for owners like yourself. Please let me know how the Vet. visit goes tommorrow with your baby.

Joan Jav917

I will be happy to help you with anything that I can. Please feel free to ask a question I will be happy to try and answer it for you.

I do want to give you one more link about Canine Epilepsy that may also help you with what your baby is going through.

The medications you have given for the seizures are all sedatives, which will hopefully help your baby and you get some rest until you see the Vet. tommorrow. Please let me know what the Vet says about your little one. Respectfully, XXXXX XXXXX 917