Patricia
Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Experience:  Published author, free lance bird behaviorist, adviser to the parrots at Sarasota Jungle Gardens.
1035247

my bird is bleeding from the butt

Customer Question

the bird is a parakeet n there are little red drops in the cage
Category: Pet
Expert:  Patricia replied 7 years ago.
Hi Samantha. I have a real strong feeling that your bird is female and not male. But no matter, when there is bleeding involved with a bird and especially one this tiny, you have an emergency. They can only lose a very small amount and survive. If you are not positive of the gender, look at the area just above the beak where the nostrils are located. It that area is blue, you do have a male. But if it's white, pink, cream color, tan, etc. then you do have a female. If you have a female, what you are describing can be symptoms of an egg bound female. That's where diet is important because egg binding is almost always caused by insufficient calcium in the diet. If you are not providing a never ending supply of cuttle bone, along with plenty of fruits, vegetables, leafy greens and much more, your bird is not getting even close to a proper diet and if her calcium levels are low, she cannot form solid shells for her eggs. When they are too soft to pass, she becomes eggbound. This can be a very dangerous situation. The egg can press on the nerves and the blood supply to the feet and legs and the bird will lose the use of one or both. The fact that you are seeing blood is cause for even more alarm because she could be about to suffer a prolapse of her uterus brought on by straining to pass an egg. She is literally turning her self inside out. For the moment, I'm going to give you information on egg binding and if we can prove beyond doubt that is not the problem, then we can proceed from there. If your bird is egg bound and without immediate intervention, she will die from it. I'm going to give you some links to information about this. It's caused by poor diet and not nearly enough calcium to enable her to form solid shells on her eggs. She needs to be seen by a good avian vet immediately. Now if the cere color has indicated that you most likely have a male bird, that does not make this situation any less of an emergency. It only means that it is being caused by something other than an egg. With male birds it can have many causes but just to mention a couple, if your bird it tightly bonded to you to the extent that he thinks of you as his mate and if he makes sexual displays for you, including possibly masturbating on perches, toys, or maybe even your hand, then that type of straining can cause a cloacal prolapse. Basically the same thing, different cause. BotXXXXX XXXXXne is, it's an emergency. All good avian vets have 24/7 emergency services available. In case you do not have one, I'll give you some links to assist in locating one. But you cannot delay with this and any handling of her or him, must be done in the most gentle way possible. If it's an egg, and if that egg ruptures inside of her, she is in even more immediate danger of dying. If you have a female and if you can detect any swelling or a lump on her tummy, just in front of her vent, that's a good sign there is an egg caught. Against my better judgement, I'm going to give you one last ditch effort you can make. I say it that way because it is exactly that, last ditch, when all hope is gone, desparation move. I also warn you, it has little chance of success. It's only better than doing nothing. You can coat her vent with cooking oil and have her stand in a dish of luke warm water. The water must be deep enough to come about half way up her tummy and you must keep it warm. Any deeper and she will panic and struggle. Struggle is the last thing you want. You must handle her as gently as possible and don't put any pressure at all on her body, anywhere. If the egg has not already ruptured inside of her, you don't want to cause it to. The best way to keep her standing in the water is to cup both your hands over her body without really holding her directly. You must make sure the water stays warm. If you let it cool down, it can work against you. If she does not pass that egg in about 30 minutes or less, and without a vet, she is going to die. 30 minutes is the max. If this is going to work at all, most likely it will not take that long. But to repeat, that is not your first, best choicle. Your best choice is a vet who has tons of exprience working with birds and come highly recommended. That is much more important than credentials and certifications. I'm also going to give you some links to proper budgie diet. However, that is for later, if you can save her or if you ever decide to get another bird. For now, just bookmark the sites and read them later. If you have the proper information about diet, perhaps you can avoid any further health issues that stem from inadequate diet. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you both. Let me know if you have more questions. Patricia

Click here: Find your local Avian Veterinarian

Click here: Avian Veterinarians Recommended by Bird Breeders and Owners http://www.birdsnways.com/articles/abvpvets.htm

Click here: Avian Vet List

Click here: BirdsnWays - Avian Veterinarians - Vets - Vet Services for Pet Parrots & Exotic Birds

This information is about Cockatiels but the information applies to Parakeets and all other birds as well.

Click here: Egg Binding in cockatiels, Egg Bound birds, what to do for an egg bound bird, symptoms of egg binding, treatment f

Click here: Hepatic Lipidosis

Click here: PetCareLibrary - Tumors in Parakeets (pvy.com)

Click here: Parakeet Medical and Safety Information

Click here: Parakeet Budgie and Keet FAQs and Info

Click here: Toxic and Safe Plants/Trees for Birds - Household Poisons

Click here: Birdsnways - Safe Plants & Trees for pet birds, pet parrots &exotic birds

Click here: Nutrition

Obesity & Diets (budgies)