Gina, Animal Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in pet health care, breeder of English Mastiffs, barnyard, knowledgeable aquarium keeper.

My hamsters eye is very swollen and bleeding.He is ...

Customer Question

My hamsters eye is very swollen and bleeding.He is constantly rubbing his eye.What can I do ?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Gina replied 9 years ago.

This can be anything from an infection (which would need antibiotics to clear up) to an injury cause by himself, something in the cage or even the bedding or even a cyst behind the eye itself. Until you can see a vet with your little guy, please remove the bedding from the cage (to decrease further irritation) and you can use plain white paper towel in place of it. Just watch him to make sure he doesn't ingest it. You can also flush the eye with sterile saline solution to flush out any debris that is in the eye. I would call your vet to have him checked out and properly treated with prescription medication if needed. I wish you all the best with your little guy :)

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
ok,but I changed his bedding but it just got worse.
Expert:  Gina replied 9 years ago.
If it is getting worse, I am afraid the only option is seeing the vet. Even if it is caused by an allergy to the bedding, the blood bothers me, which can lead to infection if it has not already set it...which, again, will need antibiotics. :) If you have not tried Carefresh bedding, give that a shot in the future, but right now all bedding should be removed. :) Do let me know how you make out with him. :)
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you !!