Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Experience:  Published author, free lance bird behaviorist, adviser to the parrots at Sarasota Jungle Gardens.

i have a male gouldian finch and a female zebra finch. Will they mate

Customer Question

Category: Pet
Expert:  Patricia replied 9 years ago.

Hello. I would say it's not likely but with birds this similar, one cannot rule out the possisbility. However, if they were mine, I don't think I would risk caging them together so it would not be a concern. I would not feel comfortable giving you a definite opinion on this one way or the other. Birds can be such individuals, it's not always possible to make a solid prediction. I can only give you my opnions and share with you what I would do in similar circumstances. While the Gouldian is a bit larger, the Zebra can be more agressive. Since neither would have one of their own kind to pair up with, whether as pals or as mates, they are not likely to be real happy. They are also not happy being alone. I would opt to get one more of each and cage the pairs together. You could probably get by with caging all four together if your cage is plenty big so no one felt crowded and therefore would not feel like their territory was threatened. I think whether or not they might try to mate would be of lesser concern to me than if, and how, they might get along. I'd perfer to have two of each and house each with their own kind or be prepared to keep a very alert eye out for any sign of aggression and be prepared to split the pairs, should it become necessary. I know this sounds a bit "wishy washy" but sometimes, birds subjects are that way. I hope it will help you some though and if you have any more questions, just let me know. Patricia