Patricia
Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Experience:  Published author, free lance bird behaviorist, adviser to the parrots at Sarasota Jungle Gardens.
1035247

How often do I feed newborn cockatiel parents do not feed ...

How often do I feed a newborn cockatiel
parents do not feed it or pay attention to it.
I have Exact baby bird food and I gave it a little bit one hour ago do I have to feed it during the night. Please help
Category: Pet
Expert:  Patricia replied 9 years ago.

Hi Edith. Is the baby still with the parents? If not, you need to return it immediately and hope no damage has been done. Unless the parents are still babys themselves and should never have been allowed to reproduce, they know what they are doing. They won't feed the baby instantly after hatching. There is a reason for that. Unless you are already a very skilled hand feeder, and learned how with hands on training from someone who knows exactly what they are doing, the odds are very high you will kill the chick by aspirating him. There are also a host of other problems you can cause if you are not doing everything absolutely exact. I'm going to give you some links to some detailied information about hand feeding but please understand how very ill advised it is for a novice to attempt this. Even a good breeder with tons of experience will never pull a baby from it's parents for many days. The chicks need what they get only from the parents to build their immune systems and get off to a healthy start. If a baby is orphaned and immediate hand feeding is the only alternative, the outcome is rarely good. Please get that baby back to the parents immediately, leave them alone for awhile and keep your fingers crossed they will start feeding it. And yes, that baby has to be fed every two hours around the clock. You must be absolutely precise in the temperature you keep the formula, the temperature you keep the baby, on and on. It must be left to the parent birds if at all possible or you will lose the chick. I hope this information will be helpful if you need it but I truly hope, for that baby's sake that you don't need it and won't use it. What you can do to help the parents is mix some of the formula with some luke warm water to about the consistency of oatmeal and offer it to them, in a bowl separate from their other food. Just don't leave it out more than a couple hours as it can quickly grow bacteria and never, ever, use any as a left over. That would be a death sentence for the birds. Let me know if you have further questions or need anything else. Patricia

Click here: Handfeeding Step-By-Step

Click here: BirdsnWays - Possible Hand Feeding Problems

Click here: Breeding Lovebirds Part II Handfeeding Weaning and Socializing

Click here: QuakerParrots.com - Abundance Weaning

Click here: Winged Wisdom Pet Bird magazine ezine - Bountiful Weaning produces quality pet birds and parrots

Click here: Abundant Weaning & Fledging