Danielle, Animal Care Expert
Experience:  10+ years experience with rodents and rabbits, 7+ years experience with freshwater fish and reptiles

My guinea pigs ears turn red and hot once in a while,why

I have a short hair female guinea pig and she's about 2 years old now and her ears turn red and hot once in a while. it is because she's in heat, or is something else wrong? thanks!
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Danielle replied 9 years ago.
It is most likely happening because she is getting overheated -- either by exerting herself by running around, or because of a temperature change in the room where she is housed. Guinea pigs, like most animals, excrete heat through their ears in order to regulate their body temperature. If their ears become too hot and red, this is an indication that they are too hot.

If she is housed in a room that gets too warm (over 76-78 degree's F) I would suggest making some changes in order to allow the room to stay cooler.

If the room is already at a cool temperature, then the reddening and heating of her ears is likely due to physical exertion from her running around when she is awake.

Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
so does mean that she's no ill in any way, but she just simply overworked herself? She does run a lot!
Expert:  Danielle replied 9 years ago.
The only sign of illness that would come from that is if she was scratching at her ears continuously. But you would notice the scratching of her ears a lot, as well as scabs on the ear from the scratching. This would be a sign of ear mites.

However, she isn't exhibiting any of those symptoms from what I understand, and you said her ears only turn red sometimes. This is a classic sign of her just overworking herself. This is especially so since she runs a lot. She's just a very active guinea pig and she is exerting the heat from running through her ears in order to cool herself.

Hope this helps!