Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Experience:  Published author, free lance bird behaviorist, adviser to the parrots at Sarasota Jungle Gardens.

I just found a hairy black spider with a red spot on ...

Customer Question

I just found a hairy black spider with a red spot on its back. We live in California.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Patricia replied 9 years ago.

Hi Derek. I assume you are trying to determine what kind of spider it may be? You didn't mention it's size so I'm going to give you a couple links to pictures of the Black Widow. That's the one that always comes to mind first when we see black with a red spot, or spots. I hope this helps but if not, or if you need something else, just let us know. Patricia

Click here: Black Widow Spider, HYG-2061A-04

Click here: Southern black widow spider

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Patricia's Post: No, it is not a black widow. It was the size of a dime. It was making a web and we just found another one much smaller. It was hairy.
Expert:  Patricia replied 9 years ago.

Okay Derek, since you have ruled out the Black Widow for sure, the next most likely would be one of the several types of Tarantulas. Of course I don't know just how hairy it is since I can't see it but Tarantulas are all hairy, to some degree. Unless you can take a picture of it and post it here, about all I can do is give you links to a lot of pictures and let you see if you can spot a match. There is more than one that would seem to fit the description of the red dot that are not Black Widows. The size is really not helpful since we have no way to know if you are seeing adults, young or somewere in between. I hope this will help you out but if it does not, let me know. Patricia

Click here: Spiders on the Web

Click here: Entomology - UCR Arachnid Photo Gallery

Click here: Live Search Images: Spiders

Click here: Google Image Result for

Click here: Tarantulas (DesertUSA)