Danielle, Animal Care Expert
Experience:  10+ years experience with rodents and rabbits, 7+ years experience with freshwater fish and reptiles

Why is my hamster scratching its self so much

Customer Question

We just got a new hamster, just put it in it's cage, and it's scratching it's self like crazy!
Category: Pet
Expert:  Danielle replied 9 years ago.
Is he losing any hair or have thinning patches of hair?

Are there any scabs on his skin?

What type of bedding is he on?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Danielle's Post: No hair loss, No scabs. He is on the dark grey pellet bedding that he was on at the pet store, I think he's nervous. It has slowed some now.
Expert:  Danielle replied 9 years ago.
It may be nerves, but it could also be mites, which are common in many hamsters. If he continues to scratch and scabs form, or he begins to lose hair, you can buy some bird mite and lice spray from most pet stores.

Spray him thoroughly and let it sit for 5 minutes, then wipe him with a warm damp cloth. Afterwards, spray down his entire cage and all accessories, wait 5-10 minutes and then rinse and dry thoroughly.

This will kill the mites if that is what's causing him to scratch.

Hope this helps!