Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Experience:  Published author, free lance bird behaviorist, adviser to the parrots at Sarasota Jungle Gardens.

my canary is shaking uncontrolably, like if he had a ...

Customer Question

my canary is shaking uncontrolably, like if he had a tick. what can i do?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Patricia replied 9 years ago.

Hello. First of all, you should not be giving him any milk. Birds are lactose intolerant. If this has come on suddenly, it may be an illness but it is far more likely to be an exposure to a toxic product. An illness in a bird rarely shows that dramatically, that quickly. I don't know if you are aware of all the toxic products we have in our homes and must give up when we have birds. It's items that we never give a thought to because they are harmless to us and our other pets. But, many of them can literally drop a bird in it's tracks. I'm going to give you some links to a longer list so you can do your own detective work to see if he has been exposed to anything. If you can, that will help the vet get to a proper treatment much quicker. Just the ones we hear about the most that kill birds are; any kind of air freshener product, almost every commercial cleaning product, anything at all that sprays into the air, burning candles or incense, cigarette smoke, using a fireplace that does not draw perfectly and non stick cookware.

Click here: Alerts Dangers and Toxins for Pet Birds Parrots

Click here: Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Poisonous. Parrots.

Click here: Toxic and Safe Plants/Trees for Birds - Household Poisons

Click here: Birdsnways - Safe Plants & Trees for pet birds, pet parrots &exotic birds

Potentially Toxic Plants

Toronto Humane Society :: Common Poisonous Plants

As stated, many of these will kill almost instantly, others are more cumulative and kill over time. However, many of them can cause seizure like trembling as one symptom. You really need to get him to a proper Avian vet, asap. In case you don't already have one, I have some links that may help. In the meantime you must make sure he does not get chilled and he must stay as quiet and stress free as possible. I hope this helps but if you have any more questions, just let me know. I'll be here about another 30 minutes. Patricia

Click here: Find your local Avian Veterinarian

Click here: Avian Veterinarians Recommended by Bird Breeders and Owners

Click here: Avian Vet List

Click here: BirdsnWays - Avian Veterinarians - Vets - Vet Services for Pet Parrots & Exotic Birds

This one looks like an advertisement for Harrison pellets but they are only sold by vets so it's another good list to check. Click here: Harrison's Bird Foods is a family of certified organic pet bird diets that were formulated to make your bird as he