TIM REICHARD
TIM REICHARD, 35 YEARS WORKING IN HERPETOLOGY
Experience:  OVER 35 YEARS EXPERIENCE CAPTIVE CARE ,BREEDING AND FEILD RESEARCH
3211403

how can I tell if my tortoise is dead

my Tortoise was happily moving around and an hour later his eyes was closed and he was making no movement at all. his head and legs were not stiff I think my daughter could of added too much calcium to his food could this have killed her, he was warm but I don't know if that was due to the heat pad in her tank
Category: Pet
Expert:  TIM REICHARD replied 9 years ago.
try a warm water bath deep enough that she has to stick hi head out for air. Or place her on his back she wont stay they way for long. she will flip over or try too.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I assume if she makes no movement from doing this she has actually died and I can bury her, how long should I submerge her in the water for?
Yes if she wont stick out her head to drink or come up for in she's gone. With a tortoise it should be with in a short time.
sorry