vanislandwitch
vanislandwitch, Dog Breeder
Experience:  Owner of a 44 acre hobby farm,Breeder of American Staffshire Terriers,Natural Practitioner
2852189

how to tell if cow is pregnant

Customer Question

first time farming whant to no whow to tell if cow is pregnant
Category: Pet
Expert:  vanislandwitch replied 9 years ago.

Hello There,

First time farmer myself ! We just bought our first cow and she is beautiful. I have found the below web site amazing.

The Merk Veterinary Manual.

It's a FREE ONLINE version updated every year!

Cow Reproduction http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/180803.htm&word=pregnant%2ccow

I did read over the material,doesn't mention "How to tell if your cow is pregnant" doesn't really seem to be much out there for us beginner farmers. So I picked up the phone and ask my pastor,he's the local cattle rancher around here,and whom we bought our cow from. I asked him how to tell if you infact have a pregnant cow,he said just watch to see if she starts making a bag and shows some sign of springing up in the next few months. You can also have a vet. come out and "bump" her (a test for pregnancy in cattle).He/she will reach in the rectum and feel for the calf through the wall. If pregnant the vet will have some recomendations for you as well.He/she can tell 40 days after breeding if she's taken or not. Its sometimes difficult to get a vet to come out so best to line one up incase you need help at calving.

Best of Luck!