Ask TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO Your Own Qu...
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE W/TROPICAL FISH---BREEDING, MAINTAINING, CURING
1568960

my fantail is severely bloated,sluggish,has popping ...

my fantail is severely bloated,sluggish,has popping eyes,and a small bulge on his side with scales popping out. you can see dark areas through his skin, it looks like backed up stool. this has happened to three other of our fantails and killed them,but the other fish all seem fine. is there anything i can do for him.
Category: Pet
Expert:  TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO replied 10 years ago.
Your fish is suffering from a condition called Dropsy and it's usually caused by poor water conditions. There isn't a medicine that can cure this condition but the good news is that by maintaining good water quality, a fish might get cured. What I suggest you do for starters is
change half (50%) of the water in the fish's tank.
Please make sure that when the water is changed a dechlorinator (something to eliminate the chlorine and chloramine present in tap water) is used prior to putting the water in the tank. Also try and make sure the water is the same temperature as the water already in the tank so as to avoid shocking the fish. Once you have completed the water change, add 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per each 5 gallons of water in the tank. Please note aquarium salt not table salt.
It can be bought at most pet shops where fish are sold. The salt will help the fish's natural slime coat and improve its breathing. Continue doing the water changes and salt additions every 3 days
with the only difference being that you'll change
10% of the water. Keep this routine for 2 weeks.
Meanwhile limit feedings to once a day and feed only a very small amount as this will help keep the water clean. Note that fish waste and uneaten food are a dangerous combination in an aquarium
as they both turn into toxins. If your wondering why only one fish is affected it's because fish are somewhat like humans in that each has his own
entirely different immune system. Some are more resistant to illness than others. So give the above recommendations a try and remember that after the fish gets better you should still continue doing weekly water changes of 25% minus the addition of salt. This will help prevent a future outbreak of Dropsy.
Best of luck and please let me know if you need additional help