NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care

What can I do to stop my Pekingese from having diarrhea

My Pekingese is 2 mo. old and I just got her Friday Jan. 5th. She's been having diarrhea for three days. My vet asked me to keep an eye on her and if the diarrhea persists to take a stool sample to him on Monday. Meanwhile is ther anything I can give her that would help?
The pedialyte was an excellent idea!
You can also see if bland food will help your pet feel better.
I would suggest trying boiled chicken meat or hamburger with the fat drained off, mixed with really well cooked rice in a ratio of 1/3 meat to 2/3 rice to see if that works. It's not a balanced diet but OK to use for a few meals while working on controlling digestive upset.
The fiber in the rice will help bind up fluids.
Its likely though that you are seeing the results of an intestinal infection common in pups such as worms, coccidia, or giardia. The last two are protozoan type bacteria that cause diarrhea in pups.
Usually the vet will check the stool sample and prescribe meds. I find using the pedialyte and the bland diet along with the meds helps the pup out a lot and that you can slowly get the puppy back on a regular food diet as it feels better.
I would not use any over the counter anti diarrhea medication as if its a bacterial infection you do not want her bowels to slow that much until the bacteria is treated.
You can though see if the intestinal soothing meds such as Pepcid or Tagamet or Zantac will help.
Be sure to tell the vet when you see them if you use any of these.
You can read about dose amounts (and cautions) scrolling down on the pages here
I commonly use one of these with pups who have digestive upset and that too helps them feel better.
What happens is the pup is stressed going into a new home, just from the changes in its life, and where it might have been handling a low grade infection easily it becomes sick in the new home as its immune system isn't functioning as well as it might be due to stress.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: is it normal for her to eat her own poo?
Pups commonly do that. Dogs don't digest food well as their intestinal tract is shorter and when they have diarrhea the food is moving through fast making it even less digested.
To the dogs the undigested food is still food so they eat it essentially recycling the nutrients.
This is so common in dogs the Merck Veterinary Manual lists it as normal behavior.
However once the tummy problem is cleared up and the dog is on a good easily digested food that should help resolve this for you. They do make products such as Forbid or Deter you can add to the food to help keep the dog from doing this.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
would clavamox help her with her diarrhea?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
does pedialyte have to be refrigerated? does it have an expiration date?
Actually that might make it worse. A common side effect of that drug is diarrhea.
You can read about this here
I would not do any meds other than the ones listed without knowing what the problem is and that is what the stool sample will help you find out about.
Pedialyte should be refrigerated after opening it.
An expiration date should be printed on the packaging.
Its best to use up the pedialyte within 2 days of opening it even if you refrigerate it.