Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Dog, Guinea Pig, Hamster, Gerbil breeder / Reptile Keeper / Bunny-Ferret-Exotic Specialist

My 2 1/2 year old hamster is sleeping a lot and not very ...

My 2 1/2 year old hamster is sleeping a lot and not very active. Is this a sign of a sickness or just old age? Is there anything specific I can do to make her more comfortable?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Gen B. replied 9 years ago.

Hello and thanks for researching this very important question!

Unfortunately, this age is considered average for most Hamster varieties. Elderly hamsters can develop kidney problems (they will drink quite a lot), and other conditions that result in the end of life.

Make sure that the room where she lives is warm enough for her geriatric needs...75F degrees is optimum.

Plentiful water, good-quality food and clean, mild bedding can all help keep her comfortable. You might want to switch to Aspen shavings, as these are softer and do not contain the harsh smell-chemicals present in cedar and pine bedding. Do scoop her soiled bedding regularly to prevent overgrowth of bacteria and molds that can take easy advantage of her.

Plain paper towels can be torn into thin strips so that she can weave a comfortable and warm nest.

Respect for her need to rest during the day will round out your geriatric care routine. Wait for her to become active in the evenings before trying to interact with her.

If you need additional support at this time, please click "Reply".