Ask TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO Your Own Qu...

TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE W/TROPICAL FISH---BREEDING, MAINTAINING, CURING

what does it mean when the fish swims upside down.

Customer Question

fish will float upside down for minutes at a time
Category: Pet
Expert:  TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO replied 7 years ago.
Your goldfish is suffering from a disorder known as Swim Bladder Disorder. The swim bladder is the organ responsible for maintaining a fish's
balance. Apparently his swim bladder has become blocked or inflammed. So the most important thing to do in beginning the treatment to hopefully cure your goldfish is change the water in his tank with dechlorinated tap water of the same temperature as the current water he's in. It's advisable to do this twice a week as uneaten food and fish waste pollute the water therby causing disease, such as swim bladder. After the water change don't feed the fish for 3 days, don't worry-fish can go at least a week without eating causing no harmful effects.
After that begin feeding him thawed frozen peas, 1 pea twice a day. The combination of the fast and the peas will clean out his digestive tract
and hopefully rid him of the disorder. You might want to add a teaspoon of aquarium salt with each water change for the duration of the treatment.
The salt serves as kind of a tonic to help fish
that are ill and otherwise healthy. But please keep in mind that the longer the fish has had this disorder the more difficult if not impossible it might be to cure but give it a 100% effort. So good luck and let me know if I can be of further assistance