NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

There is an animal digging under my steps and around the ...

Customer Question

There is an animal digging under my steps and around the foundation of my garage and shed. The mound left by this animal is quite large. I caught a glimpse of the animal a couple of nights ago when I arrived home, but it quickly darted under the concrete step where he had been digging, so I did not get a real good look at it, as far as face markings. Is it more likely to be a badger, or perhaps a woodchuck? I have seen this animal out by my shed earlier this summer, but it had not come close to the house until recently. I had six pumpkins sitting close to the house, and four of them disappeared the same day/night that the digging was taking place. Do either of these animals like to eat pumpkins? I also have deer come into the yard, and possibly they could have eaten the pumpkins. I need to find out what kind of animal it is, so that I can determine what kind of trap, etc. I would need. Thanks for any info you can give me.
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Both woodchucks and badgers dig but woodchucks are vegetarians and badgers are carnivores.
You can see a picture of a woodchuck here
http://www.hww.ca/hww2.asp?cid=8&id=109
The tracks shown on the page may help you ID the animal too.
You can read about badgers here
http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/americanbadger.htm
If you try a live trap and bait it with pumpkin this could catch you a woodchuck.
Hope this helps you!