Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Experience:  Published author, free lance bird behaviorist, adviser to the parrots at Sarasota Jungle Gardens.

my Bird has a Cold, what do I do

Customer Question

He is sneezing, and has a little runny nose. I noticed his millet sticking to his beak.
He is eating fine, playing, and drinking fine.. What can I do to help give him relief?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Patricia replied 9 years ago.

Hi Brina. Birds do not catch colds. But they do get serious respiratory issues. If your birds has wet sneezes and/or you are seeing the mucus and runny nose, you need to get him to an Avian vet or at least a vet who has a lot of experience working with birds. Many of the respiratory issues our birds have end up being our fault. There are so very many things that we have around that are harmless to us and other pets but are deadly to birds, many pet birds die every year because we didn't know better. I'll give you a link to some information about some of the things that could have caused this. Click here: More Birds Die as a Result of Air Fresheners: That Stinks!! Click here: Toxic and Safe Plants/Trees for Birds - Household Poisons

However, that will be for future reference. For right now, it is imperative that you get him in for a definite diagnosis and proper medication. Regardless of the cause, if you will get in asap, it can most likely be brought under control with a 10-14 day course of antibiotics and with you keeping him warm, out of all drafts and as quiet and stress free as possible. If he does end up on antibiotics, be certain that you also discuss the use of a probiotic at the same time or he could end up with further problems, after the antibiotic does it's job. As a just in case, and because I try to give more than the customer asked for when I can, I'l also going to give you some information on proper Tiel diet. If your bird is not getting any thing but seeds and millet, he is on a very unhealthy diet and is going to have an even harder time getting over this. He needs veggies and many other items in his dailey diet. But right now, your first step must be to get him to the proper vet. I hope this helps but if you have any more questions, just let me know. Patricia

Click here: Find your local Avian Veterinarian

Click here: Avian Veterinarians Recommended by Bird Breeders and Owners

Click here: Avian Vet List

Click here: BirdsnWays - Avian Veterinarians - Vets - Vet Services for Pet Parrots & Exotic Birds

Life After Weaning - Your Companion Bird and You

Caring For Your Pet Cockatiel

Fatty Liver Disease in Cockatiels