Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Experience:  Published author, free lance bird behaviorist, adviser to the parrots at Sarasota Jungle Gardens.

how to know the difference between male and female parakeets

Customer Question

Category: Pet
Expert:  Patricia replied 10 years ago.
Hello. Whether or not you can be sure will depend on their age. With immature birds you cannot be sure. Once they have reached the age that they have had their first "real" molt and have all their adult coloring then you can be 99% sure. Although there are other visual hints, the best and most reliable will be the color of their cere. That is the bulbous looking area just above the beak where the nostrils are located. On a mature male that area will be blue, probably a fairly dark blue and sometimes can look almost purple. On mature females the area stays in the brown family. Tan, light brown, creamy, etc. I hope that helps but if you have more questions, just let me know. Patricia