Ask TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO Your Own Qu...
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE W/TROPICAL FISH---BREEDING, MAINTAINING, CURING
1568960

why is my goldfishs stomach so big

Customer Question

My goldfish has been getting bigger in the stomach. The last several weeks it has gotten huge and it looks like it will burst. I have had it (and one other fish) for 2 years. The other one looks fine.   It started swimming upside down on occasion about 4 months ago, it acts normally other than that. Could the fish have a tumor? If so do I need to get it out of the tank to protect the other fish?
Category: Pet
Expert:  TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO replied 10 years ago.
From what you describe I would say your fish is suffering from a condition known as "Swim Bladder Disorder". The swim bladder is the organ a fish uses to keep its balance. Apparently its become
blocked and swollen. First thing to do is change 30% of the water. Then fast the fish for 3 days.
After that feed him a diet of thawed frozen peas for 7 days. The peas will help clear out his digestive tract. It doesn't sound as if the fish has a tumor and he doesn't need to be isolated.
Let me know if you need further help. Good luck.