Patricia
Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Experience:  Published author, free lance bird behaviorist, adviser to the parrots at Sarasota Jungle Gardens.
1035247

Safe and warm bedding ideas for Rabbit

Customer Question

My husband and I tend to keep our bedroom very cold. We keep our bunny in the room near our bed. What can I put in her bed to make sure she will be warm and cozy and safe during the winter months.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Patricia replied 8 years ago.
Hello. If you are not already doing it, one thing that will help is to put a cover over her box or cage to help her maintain body heat, especially at night. I'm not sure what you mean by "very cold" so it's hard to judge just how much extra heat she may need or how much of the cage you would want to cover. At the least you will want a cover over the top and 3 sides during the coldest hours. Another option is a heating pad. However, to use that option, you have to be very careful that it does not over heat. You would not want it inside her enclosure, obviously and you do not want it to be under the entire floor area of the enclosure. I would suggest putting it under only that portion of the enclosure where her sleeping area is located. Depending upon the efficiency of the pad, low would probably be fine and I'm sure medium would be the maxium setting you would dare to use. With just a small area of her enclosure heated in that manner, she can move away from it if she feels too warm, yet can be very snug when it gets too chilly. A heating pad slipped under just one corner of a carrier is the way we keep ill birds and parrots from getting chilled and it works great. I'm sure it would also work for a bunny enclosure, assuming you use all sensible cautions. I hope this will be a helpful suggestion. If you need anything else, let us know. Patricia