Tammy
Tammy, Consultant/Horse, Many other Pets.
Experience:  40+ years Horse and Rider Certified Instructor, Owner of 52 horse show boarding facility for 20+ yea

my hamster had 5 babies how long do i have to wait to ...

Customer Question

my hamster had 5 babies how long do i have to wait to get rid of them
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for sending your question to Just Answer!

The babies should be separated when they stop nurseing their mother,this is so they do not breed too young. During the first 2-3 weeks of raising the babies, you should try not to disturb the nest. Do not clean the cage for at least the first 2 weeks. Disturbing the nest or touching the babies can encourage the mother to kill some or all of her litter.

You may not be able to see the babies, as the mother will keep them warm at all times, and cover them up while she is away from the nest. You may e able to hear them though - suckling or squeaking. When the babies start to experiment away from the nest, mum will happily collect the scamperers!

The babies will grow at a fairly rapid rate. Around 5-7 days you will see the pigment of the colour of the fur, and the fur will start to sprout shortly afterwards. At around 10 days the babies will be able to hear, and will have a growing coat of fur. The eyes will open at around 14 days, they will have a full coat of fur and you can start to think about handling them carefully, and for short periods of time whilst you clean the cage.

After around 21 days, the babies can be weaned from the mother, as they will no longer need her milk - although they may want to keep suckling. Shortly after they have been weaned, they need to be separated into two cages (one for each sex) where they can live for another 2-3 weeks before they will need an individual cage per hamster.

Weaning

The process of converting the baby hamsters from their mothers milk to an adult's hamster diet id known as weaning,and is usually completed by the time they are 4 weeks old at the latest.By this time the mother will be tired of the babies and may even start to attack her babies,and at this time they should be removed from their cage and all sister females put into one cage,and all brother males put in another cage.

Babies Timeline

Day 1: Hairless, blind; thin protective covering over eyes

Day 2: Begin to develop skin color

Day 5: Develop fur, taste real food, and begin grooming

Days 14 & 15: Thin covering over eyes disappears, stuff food into cheek pouches

Day 17: Leave nest and play with other hamsters

Days 21 - 25: Can leave the mother

Days 35 - 42: Sexually mature

I hope this helps. If you need further information, please feel free to contact me.

***If this answer was helpful, please go ahead and click ACCEPT so I may receive credit for answering your question. A BONUS and FEEDBACK are also welcome too! Thank you, Tammy (JustAskTammy)*** Hamster