NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care

I certainly hope you've allowed enough characters for all of my questions...

Our cat, Clyde, was diagnosed yesterday w/ CARCINOMATOSIS OF THE MESENTARY.

Clyde had alot of fluid on his abdomen, half of which has been drained to allow him to be more comfortable.

We do not have the official results of the lab tests from the drained fluid yet - and if those results are inconclusive, the vet wants to do a Biopsy.

1. Is a biopsy painful?

2. Is this mass operable?

3. What are the treatment options?

4. How often would the fluid come back - and subsequently have to be drained?

5. What could be the underlying cause of this carcinoma?

6. Life expectancy?

7. What medications can he be put on that would increase his quality of life? We do not want Clyde to suffer in any way, but we do want to prolong his life as long as we can - provided he is enjoying that life....

Thank you so much...

Keri Nixon [email protected]
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Depending on the spread of the disease this may or may not be treatable.
You can read about mesenteric lymph node involvment in cancer in cats here
and here
He should feel a lot better with the fluids drained as that puts pressure on lungs and heart and all the abdominal organs and is pretty uncomfortable.
If you are just working with your regular vet on this you may want to consult with a veterinary oncologist. Like the doctors who practice this the veterinary cancer specialists are usually really up to date on top treatments and can give a pretty solid estimate of prognosis as treating cancer is what they do. This site may help you find such a specialist to consult with
My experience in treating animals with cancer is that they do quite well in many cases and then if you get to a point they no longer enjoy life or are comfortable parting with them is kindest.
But with new treatments and protocols that point can often be delayed.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I think the main answer then that I'm looking for are #1 and #7...

1. is biopsy painful?

7. are there medications that he can be put on that will still retain his quality of life but take the pain away - is there a kitty equivelant to human's pain killers that won't leave him wigged out?
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Depending on how the biopsy is done it may have some pain to it. Often though anesthesia is used to get that. I've had a needle biosy done myself and its not hard to tolerate. Not really much worse than a shot.
Yes there are good pain killers, good meds to help fight the cancer, and stuff to make him feel better depending on what is found in the testing.