Lori, Breeder
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues focusing on cats, reproductive issues & multicat environments

is softened water safe for pets

Customer Question

I own a very special welsh corgi, she is almost 2, and lately she has been suffering from some intestinal issues, i took her to the vet the first time because of blood in her stools, after several tests they could find nothing wrong. We changed diet to boiled chicken and rice, and several meds. Two weeke later it happened again,.... took her in again, once again they couldn't find anything wrong, just diagnosed it as a sensitive stomach. we started her on Science Diet D/D, she seemed to be doing better, then she had one more episode of a dark bloody stool, so i put her back on the chicken and rice, and have not seen any more blood. We live in a rural town, and have a well, which we soften the water with salt containing rust removers, and use Iron Out, we do not drink the water, i am now wondering if the water is harming the dog?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.

I would suggest buying bottled water for her. Soft water is not recommended for human consumption on a regular basis

so--if it's not suggested for human consumpution, I would definitely not suggest it for a pet. Distilled water is also to be avoided due to the process that is involved in 'distilling'. On a short term basis, it would probably be fine, but for long term consumption, consder purchasing gallon jugs of springwater given your situation. Please let me know if I can assist further.