Tammy, Consultant/Horse, Many other Pets.
Experience:  40+ years Horse and Rider Certified Instructor, Owner of 52 horse show boarding facility for 20+ yea

my guinea pig has lost both of his upper teeth. i noticed ...

my guinea pig has lost both of his upper teeth. i noticed this when he had not eaten his usual veggies. What should i do? is this normal?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy replied 10 years ago.

Thank you for sending your question to Just Answer?

Here are several web sites relating to Guinea Pigs and their teeth. You do, however I suggest you keep the vet appointment for your hamster for treatment.

Rodents: Guinea pig
One of the most common injuries to a guinea pig is incisor tooth damage. ... bottom incisors is lost and the other remains firm, then the guinea pig simply ...

Here is a section of a website:

One of the most common injuries to a guinea pig is incisor tooth damage. This is usually the result of them being dropped by their owners or leaping out of their hands as they are lowered back into their quarters or onto the ground, see handling.

If the teeth are very loose as a result of the injury they are best pulled out. They are going to fall out anyway, within a short time, but as long as they are left in it is going to be very difficult for the guinea pig to eat. Once they are out, the animal quickly learns how to scoop it's food in if it's the bottom teeth, or manipulate it's tongue to draw in the food if it's the top ones. Where the cavey has lost one set of teeth as above, it is advised to trim the opposite set well back, so that the two sets can regrow in balance.

If both are knocked out, help with some syringe feeding, but it is amazing how quickly the teeth come through again and they get back to normal feeding.

If only one of the top or bottom incisors is lost and the other remains firm, then the guinea pig simply carries on as usual. However, check after a week or so, when the new tooth has really started to grow and trim the good tooth back down to it's level.

Another good site with lots of info, and news letters:

This is also a good site, go to the bottom to read:

This is a really good site, and answer for falling out teeth:

(Q) My guinea pigs teeth break quite often, and she is finding it difficult to eat. What can cause this, and is there anything I can do?

(A) Make an appointment for your guinea pig to see a vet as soon as you can, as you need to find out what is causing her teeth to break.

It can be the result of a fall or fighting, and in these cases a vet clips the teeth to make sure the affected guinea pig has an even biting surface.

Sometimes where teeth break very easily, or fall out if knocked it can be a sign of vitamin D deficiency, as a lack of this vitamin in a guinea pig's diet will lead to a calcium deficiency. This lack of calcium will result in poorly mineralized teeth and bones. A guinea pig gets its vitamin D from two sources that are diet and sunlight, and vitamin D deficiency only happens when both of these sources are not there.

Excessive vitamin D is also harmful, but if your guinea pig is severely affected by a vitamin D deficiency, your vet may advise supplementing your guinea pig's diet with one drop of cod liver oil a week, or a calcium and vitamin D supplement.

It is important that your guinea pig gets hard food at this time to make sure that the teeth are kept even. Soft foods will let the other teeth grow uncontrollably, but obviously you have to balance this out in the short term to make sure your pet gets enough food.

I hope these help you, and you can fix your hamster's problem. If you need further information, please feel free to contact me.

Good Luck!

***If this answer was helpful, please go ahead and click ACCEPT so that I may receive credit for answering your question. A BONUS is always welcome too. Thank you, Tammy****