Patricia
Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Experience:  Published author, free lance bird behaviorist, adviser to the parrots at Sarasota Jungle Gardens.
1035247

How do I tell the sex of my white dove

Customer Question

How do I tell the sex of a dove?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Patricia replied 10 years ago.

Hello Rowe. Unfortunately this is a question for which no one is going to be able to give you a definite answer. Visual sexing of many birds is very nearly impossible. When it's Doves, there are sometimes certain behaviors that give pretty good hints as to which gender they are but it's never fool proof. It can also require that you have more than one in order to compare the behavior with another bird. As with parrots, there will only be two ways that you can ever know for sure. One will be if the bird ever lays an egg and the other would be a DNA test. Other than those two things, a "best guess" will be the only answer anyone is going to be able to provide. I am going to give you links to some more information about Doves and more indepth explanations about visual sexing and how difficult it can be. I hope this information will be informative for you. Patricia