Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate

symtoms of pidgeon flu in horses

Customer Question

I have a 2 mo old filly foal - mom is a recently adopted mustang. neither are gentled yet, so no way to physically examine either one. Foal was born with a growth near her belly button, about the size of a cherry. Mom has a small one about the size of an apricot so we assumed that it could be an inherited hernia. The foals has grown steadily since birth and in this last week is now the size of a tennis ball. Mom's hasn't grown any but now she has a lump on her chest the same size as her "hernia". A friend mentioned her filly had the same thing and was diagnosed with "pidgeon flu" and it is very contagious. Help - I cannot find any info on Pidgeon flu in horses.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Marie replied 10 years ago.
Hi Ty! The only Pigeon flu I know of is typically seen in cattle. And there is a bacteria called Leprospirosis that causes the cattle to abort or get sick. I've heard of Pigeon breast in horse, but that is a Bacterium that can cause a pseudo type Tuberculosis symtoms. These are typically western State diseases. Our problem here is West Nile. I will call a friend and see if she knows about this. Without a snotty nose, cough and fatique, I tend to think both they guys need some serious de-worming. The growths on their chests could also be a problem you see in cattle from the screw fly. It's been making a comeback in the US but the University of MN wants it to be a secret. Also, I'm sure you read hoof and mouth has gone through the ceiling in the dryest States out west. So anything is possible. Several typical cow diseases have crossed over to horses. I'll see what I can find out and get back to you. What State are you in?