Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Dog, Guinea Pig, Hamster, Gerbil breeder / Reptile Keeper / Bunny-Ferret-Exotic Specialist
1298761

trouble with my pitbull, is she sick, whats wrong. PLEASE HELP US!

hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX i have 2 female dogs Booty (fullbread Pit,85 pounds,2 yrs old) and Hailey (mixed pit 35 pds 3.5 yrs old). About 3 weeks ago Booty was having problems while i was at work. my girlfriend called me and said she was tensed up, rasping, shaking and looked as if she was having seizures but didnt fall and was responsive. when i got home she didnt do any more of most of that but her face was twitching a bit. we took her to the vet the next A.M. and they said she was probablly choking on something and gave her prednisone to take at home. after a week of taking it she was acting strange,( but she never really has been herself since the night all that happened to her). but this was worse now. she was getting aggressive with food big time and didnt get along with Hailey anymore.The two have had thier times but for the most part loved to play and wrestle around and love eachother since we brought Booty home 6 months ago. Booty even growled at us a few times when we stopped her from stealing Haileys food. She also has been very mopy and lazy. about 4-5 days after we stopped giving her the medication because we thought that me be the reason for aggression and found online that indeed it does alter moods, Booty attacked hailey over haileys food dish once her's was empty. I broke them up asap but not before booty had bitten off half haileys ear. we rushed hailey to emergency overnite hospital and apon returning home booty seemed to be aggressive still towards her and was acting strange and obsessed with Haileys blood all over the house. we have talked with our vet about it but we feel they are prejudice toward pitbulls during our last 2 visits there. Booty has always been a great loving dog and friendly with kids and other dogs even though she has always been an outside dog untill that night something happened to her.She adapted to inside life very well. So after all this info, is this a case you have heard before? Could it be she may have had a stroke or seizures or is it the infamous Pitbull gone bad story. Please help us with any info you can as we love her but dont know what to do, we have her caged as of now besause we dont want her to attack hailley again or one of us over food. Thank you so much. Please help us help Booty, we love her and hailley so much. We live in NE PA if you know any specialists
Category: Pet
Expert:  Gen B. replied 10 years ago.
Hello and thanks for researching this important subject. I have a pitbull and an amstaff and just LOVE them to bits! These can be the gentlest dogs around and you obviously are very committed to giving them good care.

These links outline several reasons for something called Sudden Aggression Syndrome that can occur in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/medical-causes-of-aggression-in-dogs/page1.aspx

http://www.canlyme.com/dogagg.html

http://critterweb.com/btneuro/soa.htm

Since this problem has come on quickly and is getting worse, I do recommend that you by-pass all regular veterinary offices and find a Veterinary Behaviorist who will work with you all to find the cause (if possible) and to get these girls back together.

You are wise to enforce a separation at this time.

The behaviorists at the University of Pennsylvania can be reached for appointment by calling:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Specialists at Cornell University Veterinary Hospital can be reached for appointment by calling:(NNN) NNN-NNNN(option 2)

If these centers are not near enough to home, the scheduling desk or behavior department may be able to refer you to someone reliable nearby.

Thanks for not giving up too soon!