Marie, horse owner/trainer/show jump
Experience:  Multiple cats/own vet care/feral cat TNR/raised lassie collies/wildlife advocate

necrotizing leukoencephalitis

Customer Question

I have a 6 yr old male Yorkie. For the past 8 mths, on rare occasions he has had seizures. The Neurologist we met with (who saw one of his episodes first hand) said that one possible cause is an inflammatory brain disease called necrotizing leukoencephalitis. She told me to look it up, but I am having trouble finding info on the web. Can you provide any info about this disease or direct me to where I can get info? Thank you!
Category: Pet
Expert:  Marie replied 10 years ago.
CLICK on where is says 2 more...

This was also a bit medical, but is will explain the inflammation and remember, necrotizing means dying cells.

I'm so sorry about you dog. There ia a lot of information, but it is so medically written, you could not understand it. This is one web site tht may help you, I will try to find you another.

Rememebr to click the Accept button if this helped you.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Marie's Post: I appreciate your time, but the answer provided was basically the same info I was finding on my own: Medical findings on deceased dogs. This info is not helpful for me or my dog. I am more specifically looking for info from a vet expert who can share what the symptoms of NLE are, describe the disease in layman terms, provide treatment options, recommended tests to determine disease, life expectancy, etc. The best website I found so far was, but they do not have info about this specific disease. The do provide info about NME and GME, but not NLE. If an expert is not able to provide an answer, I will keep trying on my own. Thank you!