Patricia
Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Experience:  Published author, free lance bird behaviorist, adviser to the parrots at Sarasota Jungle Gardens.

What Kind of Parrot Do I Have

I found a parrot loose outdoors, and have been unable to find its owner. I was wondering if you could help me determine what kind of parrot it is. Here is the description: It is of medium size, has long tail feathers, is bright green, a tan hooked beak, and has bright red above his beak and along the edges of his wings. I was also wondering if you could tell me if this type of parrot can talk?

Thank you.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Traci replied 7 years ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Traci's Post: Yes, it does. The red above it's beak is not quite as large. I couldn't tell from the picture--does the bird shown have red outlining it's wings as well?
Expert:  Traci replied 7 years ago.
I'm going to let skydanzer take over from here...definitely the parrot expert! :)
Expert:  Traci replied 7 years ago.
Bear with me, while I try to reach Skydanzer - she can tell you everything and anything you would ever want to know about this little one.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Traci's Post: Traci:

Is Skydanzer going to reply to my question? Is there anything else I have to do, or do I just check my e-mail for a response?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Traci's Post: Okay, I'll wait for skydanzer.

Thank you.
Expert:  Traci replied 7 years ago.
I am still trying to get her - she is online, she hasn't read my private message yet. You should receive an email saying your answer has been replied to when she answers your question:

In the meantime, here are some more pictures. This one does not have outlining on the wings - just a little on the top.
http://www.centralpets.com/photos/birds/parrots/photo_prt1280.html
Expert:  Patricia replied 7 years ago.

Hello Kendrick, my name is XXXXX XXXXX known around here as Skydanzer. I appreciate Traci's confidence in me but I have to tell you, this is a hard one. In good conscience, I have to first tell you that every attempt should be made to get this bird back to it's rightful owner. With parrots, it's far more than just "ownership". Birds form a very tight bond with their humans. Even if you find out what it is for sure, and spend the hours and hours it will take to even scratch the surface on what you need to know to keep it healthy and properly cared for, it will still likely be very antagonistic towards you, being nice when it has to, giving you a serious bite when it gets a chance. You should contact all vets to see if they have lost notices, you should place a "found" add in the paper, but make sure you insist that anyone claiming it be able to identify it. Does it by chance have a band on either leg? It may also be microchipped and most vets can take a reading to see. Now, all that said, trying to make any kind of parrot identification without being able to see the bird, is difficult, if not impossible. There are so very many who look nearly identical, yet can be very different birds. From your description, the Red Front Conure is a possibility, so is a Waglers Conure. But, many, many other parrots can fit this general description. One problem is you refer to it as "medium" size. Medium to you might be different than what it means to me. A Conure is not what I would call a medium bird. Conures are usually about the size of a Robin. The best way I can try to help you would be if you can take a picture of it and post it here in the message area. I'm going to give you a couple more links that you may not have seen. You can see if any of these birds look anything like it. Also if you can tell me, by comparision to any wild bird, about what size it is and how long is the tail. I'm still not promising that I'm going to be much help on this however. There are just way to many different species of parrot for anyone to be able to tell you with no more to go on than this and without being able to see a picture. Let me know if any of these pictures help at all. Patricia

Look at the Waglers Conure here.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Patricia's Post: Patricia:

I have been trying everything I can for two weeks to locate this bird's owner (i.e., "Found" signs, checking with veterinarians, checking the want ads every day). The problem is, we found the bird in another city than the one we live in--approximately 20 minutes away.

From the pictures you have sent, it looks to me like it is a Mitred Conure. We have a Green Cheeked Conure and I would say it is probably one a half times as big. I've had birds all of my life and I know he is being fed the right food, etc.

Do you think that this bird will eventually learn to like and trust us? I know I need to get a larger cage and some toys to keep him occupied, but have been holding off while we look for its owner.

Thanks

Any suggestions?
Expert:  Patricia replied 7 years ago.
Most papers accept free found ads so I hope you also tried in the local paper where the bird was found. Most lost birds, when located, are generally within a few short miles from their home. As for if and when it may accept and try to bond with you is dependent on many things and they are all situations we have no way to know about. What the relationship was with the previous owner. how old the bird is, was it a pet or maybe an escaped breeder bird; way too many unknowns here. You can only work with it as you would any new bird in your household, be patient and hope for the best. One thing I would strongly urge though, especially if you did not observe a quarantine period before exposing your resident bird to this one, is to get them both to an avian vet for a checkup. We must always maintain a minumum 30 day quarantine, keeping new birds in a separate air space from our residents. This is ever more important when a bird has been outside and exposed to the many diseases and parasites carried by wild birds. I expect when you go to the vet, they will be able to really pin down for you exactly what kind of bird it is also. I'm a little in doubt of it being a Mitered since their heads are mostly black and they do not have what I would consider a long tail. If the owner can't be located you really do need to pin down what it is with a vet or someone who can see the bird in person. It may have different dietary needs than you think. It has crossed my mind to wonder if it may be one of the mini Macaws even. But, botXXXXX XXXXXne is, it's just going to take someone seeing it in person or you being able to post a picture of it here. I'm sorry I could not be more specific than this, working only from a verbal description. Good luck with it. Patricia
Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Experience: Published author, free lance bird behaviorist, adviser to the parrots at Sarasota Jungle Gardens.