Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Experience:  Published author, free lance bird behaviorist, adviser to the parrots at Sarasota Jungle Gardens.

I need information on weeble bugs and how to

Customer Question

I need information on weeble bugs and how to get rid of them in my home. What do they eat, how do I kill them
Category: Pet
Expert:  Patricia replied 10 years ago.
Do you mean weevils? Like can get in flour, pasta and other grain based items? And once they hatch, there are little moths flying around?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Patricia's Post: Yes, I believe (after much searching) that your spelling is correct, however, I have not notices a mothh like creature. These seem to be thin cresent type inhabitants that are EVERYWHERE in my home. I remember them as a child being in flour, but these evolved pests seem to like even the bathroom, closets, and carpet. They are about twice the size of a flea, play dead when you catch them, and are cressant in shape- Black in color and a big pain in the neck! I think I may have seen a few fly, but they dont morph to mothes- help
Expert:  Patricia replied 10 years ago.

I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I have been using all the research available to me to try to pin down which pest you are dealing with. If you have seen at least some moths flying around then you have at least some Seed Moths. They tend to get into any grain based item. Flour, pasta, rice, cereals, etc. They are an aggravation but relatively easy to deal with. You just need to throw out any item you them in, wipe down your cabinets well with about a 10% solution of bleach water. Everytime you bring home a grocery item that is grain based, if you will freeze it for 24-48 hours first, that will stop a lot of it. As for the weevil you are describing, I cannot find any information that seems to be exactly what you describe. Not knowing your area of the country and what might be native there, it's impossible to guess about it. What you can, and should do, is collect a few in a zip lock bag and have someone look at them for you. If you have a local agricultural office, (probably located with your other local city or county offices) someone there can tell you exactly what they are and how best to combat them. Another possibility is if you have lawn and pest control dealer nearby. It is their business to treat for any kind of pest and should also be able to pinpoint the problem and tell you the best way to get rid of them. I am going to give you a couple links that will explain more indepth about a couple of the possibilities. The problem is I'm pretty certain what you are describing is the larvae of something. Not much available literature shows pictures of the larvae stage, only the adults.

Sorry I could not be more specific than this but hopefully this information will help you get to the bottom of it. Patricia