NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

If you see one mouse in your house is there another

Customer Question

If you see one mouse in your house is there another one with the first?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Deborah replied 8 years ago.
Discovering evidence that a mouse has invaded your home can be quite upsetting. Mice are mostly nocturnal, so they are not likely to be seen unless the infestation is severe. Mice often leave behind droppings in kitchen cabinets, pantries, drawers, and any other place they may have gone in search of food. It is important to close off the source of entry and eliminate any mice currently within the home. More often than not, where there is one, there are more.

There are various types of traps that can be used to capture or kill mice. Use of traps if the mouse infestation is not too severe. Traps are advantageous since poisons can be dangerous, and with traps the dead mice can easily be located and disposed of. When poisons are used, the mice often die and are not found until there is an odor. Also, poisoned mice can pose a danger to pets who may eat them.

There is the typical spring-loaded, wood-based trap, a live trap, and a glue trap. Traps should be positioned close to the wall or cabinet where mice have been a problem. A good bait to attract mice is peanut butter. It is not easily removed without setting off the trap. It is suggested that several traps are used for more efficient mouse elimination. Live traps can trap more than one mouse at a time, and the mice can be released without harm in another location. Glue traps will hold mice with a special glue, but they can be ineffective with high temperatures or in dusty locations. It is advised to use caution when placing any traps where pets and children can access them.

Use poison when the problem is severe and multi-dose poisons are safer to use than one dose poisons. Label directions should be followed very carefully, and poisons should not be used if there is a risk of children or pets coming in contact with them.
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
In general they say if you see one you have 10.
This lists some advice on getting rid of them.
http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/health/rodents.html#attack
Hope this helps you!