Gina, Animal Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in pet health care, breeder of English Mastiffs, barnyard, knowledgeable aquarium keeper.

How long will a female mastiff stay in heat Our male

Customer Question

How long will a female mastiff stay in heat ? Our male needs to know (he is beside himself) Thanks The Scotts
Category: Pet
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 10 years ago.

how old is your girl?

Has she ever been in heat yet?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: She is 9mo.old first time.

Dear friend,

We have a wonderful expert on this site. Her name isXXXXX has five Mastiffs and is extremely experienced with this breed. I am sending her your question as she is best qualified to be of help to you.

Is that OK?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Yes thanks for your help
Expert:  Gina replied 10 years ago.

You're boy isn't going to like this, not one bit, but he can't have her this time around or even next time. Mastiffs mature very slowly...she is too immature mentally and physically to whelp and raise a litter, so do your best to keep them separated the whole time or you may be biting off more that you can chew with raising an entire litter yourself and risking losing your girl in the process.

Ok...The entire heat cycle lasts 3 weeks...between days 9-14 she is most fertile, but that does not mean she can not get pregnant on the 20th day. :) I know it must be frustrating for male, in my profile, Bob,(as a pup) goes nutty when we have a girl in season. It will subside and he will go back to normal :) Hope this helps and good luck in the future :)