Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Experience:  Published author, free lance bird behaviorist, adviser to the parrots at Sarasota Jungle Gardens.

We have a coupel of Mud Wrens building a nest on our ...

We have a coupel of Mud Wrens building a nest on our front porch, and making a terrible mess. I don't mind if they build their nest on the side of the house but not right above my front door. How can I get them to stop building on the front porch?
Cruel as it sounds, the only way to deter them is to make it an impossible situation for them to build there. Don't let them get the nest completed. If that should happen and they get eggs laid, in good conscience, you cannot tear it down. But so long as they are only in the construction stage, you can keep taking down, dailey, what they build. They will eventually give up and look for a more hospitable location for their nest. You didn't say how far along they are or how close to completion so make sure no eggs have been laid already before you destroy the nest. If it's pretty far along, there might already be eggs and they are only doing some improvements as they incubate. I hope this suggestion works for you but if you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Patricia
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Patricia's Post: Hi Patricia,
I have been knocking the nest down now almost daily for for just over 1 month. How long will I have to do this? They have not laid any eggs yet but we are going away for two weeks and I am afraid that there will be eggs when we get home.
They can be persistent when they choose a spot, that's for sure. If you are going to be away, it doesn't leave you too many options. One would be if you have someone who can come every day and remove the construction. You could try using deterrents such as a fake owl hanging there or a fake snake or both. Otherwise you may come home to a nest of babies. The gestation time should be 13 days, plus or minus a day, then approximately 2 weeks until the babies fledge. I guess worse case is you could be living with them there for another couple weeks after your return, assuming they get down to business quickly. I don't know anything else you can do that will not harm the parent birds and I'm so glad that you don't seem to want to do that. I wish I had some more solutions to offer but it's pretty hard to change nature. Good luck with your extended family. Patricia