Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Experience:  Published author, free lance bird behaviorist, adviser to the parrots at Sarasota Jungle Gardens.

what can kill parakeets

Customer Question

what type of foods can kill parakeets
Category: Pet
Expert:  Patricia replied 10 years ago.

Hi Candy. I'm glad to see you asking about this very important subject. It shows you want to do the very best for your bird or any birds you may have in the future. I'm going to give you some links to a lot of information about things that are very toxic to our birds. It's not just foods but many other things as well that we have around our homes. Always use lists like these when making decisions about your bird, it's diet and anything that goes on around it. However, keep in mind that no list is ever all inclusive so if you have a question about a particular thing, don't assume that because it's not on the list, that it may or may not be toxic. I caution everyone with birds, IF IN DOUBT, DON'T!! Always check with someone who knows before offering your bird anything that you cannot find listed on either a toxic list or a safe list. They are so tiny and their systems are so very sensitive, it doesn't take much of a wrong item to kill them. I hope this information will be helpful to you. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Patricia

Toxic Foods, Metals and Compounds