Dr. Vicky Lamb
Dr. Vicky Lamb, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years small animal veterinarian

My beagle just appeared with a grossly swollen ear flap.

My beagle just appeared with a grossly swollen ear flap. It looks like a water balloon. What can I do?

Optional Information:
Age: 12; Female; Breed: Beagle

Already Tried:
benedryl, antibiotic

Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vicky Lamb replied 10 years ago.
Your beagle most likely has a hematoma in the ear flap. It is when a blood vessel ruptures under the skin and then the flap of the ear fills with blood. It kinda looks like a pillow. There is nothing that you can do at home right now.

The underlying reason for these is often ear infections, which causes the dog to shake the head a lot and damage the ear. You will need to see the vet on Monday, and have the ear examined to determine the best course of treatment. Most times the ear will need to be surgically drained and repaired if the whole ear flap is swollen. This website goes over in detail what is done to fix these:

Try to prevent your dog from shaking his head a lot. You can certainly take him to an ER over the weekend, but this is not necessarily an emergency, so you can wait until Monday.