NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care

my doberman pinscher is in heat and I was wondering ...

Customer Question

my doberman pinscher is in heat and I was wondering how many days after her bleeding stops that she can be bred?

Optional Information:
Age: 3; Female

Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Usually a dog is willing to stand for a male somewhere between days 9-14 of the heat season. Some dogs ovulate sooner and some later.
If you want to know the best days to try getting a progesterone test done might be the way to go.
But an experienced stud dog will tell you a lot too. Their noses are usually as good as any test going.
What I like to do is to give the dogs supervised time together each day to see if they will breed and to allow some courtship time leading up to breeding. If you plan to breed again mark which day of her heat she is receptive this time.
You should be able to see her flagging (moving the tail to be ready for breeding) when her rear is touched and her vulva should be soft with no really hard core to it for breeding to take place.
Hope this helps you!