NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

How do I stop my Lhasa Apso from whining and barking at ...

How do I stop my Lhasa Apso from whining and barking at night? I need some sleep!!!

Optional Information:
Age: 2; Female; Breed: Lhasa Apso

Already Tried:
Saying "No". Talking to her in a moderate soothing voice. Putting her in another room. She is fine if she is not in her kennel.

Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Does she need to sleep in her crate with the door shut? if she is housebroken you can choose to leave her loose.
If she needs to be crated you should not give in to her barking with a positive response such as talking to her nicely. If she is crated in the bedroom with you then you can try a spray bottle of water telling her 'no quiet' and then if she keeps barking spritz her with the water.
I would suggest working at tiring her out too. A long walk each evening, a good game of fetch, or a game of chase the laser pointer light or using a cat toy that is like a fishing rod, a big chew item that will tire her out, all might help her a lot to be able to settle down and sleep in her crate when its your bed time.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Subject: Lhasa Apso - problems with whining and barking

Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: She is housebroken to some extent, but if I let her run loose at night, she has an accident early in the morning.She wants to be up and about early, 4-5:30 in the a.m. Also if she is loose, she wants to sleep in my bed, and she still starts the whining and barking very early in the a.m. I need her to be trained to the crate so I can travel with her and she does not expect to sleep on my friend's beds.
She goes into the crate and goes to sleep fairly readily, but is quite an early riser. Last night - 2 a.m. and I spent 2 hours trying to get her quiet!!

I work during the day, so she is left in her own room, loose, while I am gone. We play together quite a bit as she loves to run and fetch her toys.

Shirley Lanphier
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Have you considered a compromise of teaching her to use a doggy litterbox or a pee pad?
Has she been checked for health issues by your vet? she should be able to hold her urine or stool longer than a couple of hours.
If you free feed her stop that and put her on a schedule for meals. Schedules for eating make potty schedules easier.
At this point she has learned that if she fusses you will get up and pay attention to her. Works great for her but not so hot for you!
You can try a towel over the crate door to limit her stimulation, you can try the water spray instead of responding to her too.
You can also consider taking obedience classes with her as that can help with leadership issues in the home. www.apdt.com might help you find a trainer to work with. Positive type training works well with this sort of dog.
As these are pushy little dogs you might also try the nothing in life is free program with her
www.goletavet.com/nothingfree.html
this will help work at who is in charge in your home - she may think its her!
you may find some tips here
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html
http://www.healthypet.com/library_view.aspx?ID=107&sid=1
The key in play is to really make the dog tired. Many trainers feel a dog your pet's age should be totally tired out at least once a day.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Subject: Reply to Nancy Holmes suggestions re Lhasa Apso.

She is not free fed - she is on a schedule for feeding. Additionally, she is able to hold her urine and stool for 12+ hours. However, if she is allowed to roam free at night, from 10pm to 6a.m. she will sometime have an accident before 6a.m. Knowing her temperament at this point, I know she would bark constantly instead of whining if I covered her crate. She does not bark or whine if she is allowed to sleep with me - which I will not allow. I have only had her 3.5 weeks now, so I realize I have more training to do.
She is scheduled to start obedience training on Feb. 18th.

I will definitely try the water spray suggestion.
Thank you.
Shirley
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Good that you are going to do the obedience!
But if you can stand to do it completely ignore her for as along as it takes for her to learn she is in the crate for the duration until you let her out. I usually figure three nights of lost sleep with a new rescue dog that is learning about crates overnight.
If she barks, she barks, and you just have to not let her get her own way and throwing a towel over her crate when she starts might help. But every time you try to soothe her you are teaching her that barking works! not what you mean to do at all I'm sure!