NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care

how do i know if my rottweiler is pregnant - i have a 10 ...

how do i know if my rottweiler is pregnant? - i have a 10 month old rott that had her first heat right around x-mas. she is in the hills and outside all day long. there are a couple other male dogs maybe a mile away and i am wondering what the chances are that they would know she was in heat. her nipples are saggy and swollen now and i am starting to get worried that she is pregnant. they dont produce milk, but her lower two are very saggy. i have heard that some of these signs are normal and that it may be signs of a false pregnancy. do coyotes inpregnate dogs often? i just want to be sure.

Optional Information:
Age: <1; Female; Breed: rottweiler

Already Tried:
feeling for lumps and trying to take note of her tempermant.

Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
Coyotes eat dogs more often than they breed with them. Usually mixes are only found with captive animals being bred to dogs they live with.
However if any of the dogs in the area run loose a mile is nothing in terms of finding a female in heat. I know as a kid my male beagle mix was found 5 miles away sitting on a female dog's doorstep! Dogs can smell estrus a good long distance. If she was bred Dec 25 she would be due about 02/26/2006
If you really want to know if she is pregnant you can have the vet run a relaxin test.
www.bullwrinkle.com/ShoppingPages/dog-pregnancy-test-canine.htm
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: what about all of the symptoms i described. are they normal after a dogs heat and for how long should they last? i think the lumps have gone down slightly, but the skin is still loose. so any male within miles would definately be aware of the bitch in heat...and would get to her at all costs...? is false pregnancy common?
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
False pregancy is really common and yes the symptoms fit what you have described. They can last as long as a real pregnancy can go right down to false labor and pretending toys are puppies.
Some dogs have very little signs and others go all out.
And any intact male dog that had a nose would be able to pick up the pheromones from where she urinates. I know people who have kept dogs in locked fenced yards with 6' fencing and they still got pregnant and had pups so a free roaming dog its even more likely. Remember she will be looking for a male too - its not all one sided! Might ask your neighbors if your dog eas seen visiting there over the holidays.
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care